Footdee, referred to locally as `Fittie`, lies on the banks of the River Dee, right beside where the north side of the entrance to Aberdeen Harbour meets the North Sea. There has been a settlement here since Medieval times but the housing that can be seen today was laid out in 1809 by John Smith, then Superintendent Of The Town's Public Works. The purpose-built community was specifically designed to house local fishermen and their families.
From first taking up residence, the villagers decorated their sheds and outhouses with flotsam and driftwood and the practice still continues albeit with mostly tacky shop-bought souvenirs rather than `lucky finds`on the beach. The colourful additions certainly brighten up the location and bring more than an occasional smile to visitors` faces.
The original houses were thatched single-storey dwellings, uniform in width, height and depth with similar doors and windows with additional storeys and dormers added piecemeal by the new owners as funds allowed. Several of the original wooden sheds, many times patched and repaired, still survive.
Fittie has a real `forgotten corner` atmosphere and when wandering through these back streets its easy to forget that it borders one of busiest industrial harbours in the UK. There are plenty of photographic opportunities too so remember to bring your camera!
Unlike this guy, most of the residents are friendly and seem quite happy with where they stay!
The modern control tower is on the Footdee side of the harbour and a complete contrast to the old cottages which it overlooks.
Please bear in mind that all images on this website are Copyright. They are not free to use and have been embedded with a digital watermark.
Contrary to the impression given by these guys, it`s very rarely warm enough here for sunbathing or surfing in Hawaiian shorts!
Additional images relating to Aberdeen can also be found in my Stock Photography Archive.
The Footdee War Memorial honouring those who lost their lives serving their country during the 1914-1918 conflict stands in Pocra Quay on the waterfront overlooking the harbour entrance. It was unveiled on 16 August 1919 by James Tulloch J.P. The panels listing fatalities from WW2 were added on 21 May 1949.
The services listed are the Army, Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, United States Navy and United States Air Force in the Second World War. Members of the Civic Defence are also commemorated. On a nearby wall is this memorial to the Dock Labourers who lost their lives in both World Wars. Quotations engraved on the cobbled walkway that runs alongside the harbour`s north wall include one from `The Fishin`` by Lewis Mackie: `Keepin` the watch on a winter`s nicht, Heedin` the rin o` the sea. See the blinkin` o` trawler`s lichts, Slinkin` oot frae the Dee.` The base of the main war memorial is inscribed with lines from a Traditional Seafarers` Hymn: `Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee, For those in peril on the sea.`