*Page under construction*
The churchyard of Glasgow Cathedral is an ancient one and is thought to originate from as far back as the end of the fourth century when St Ninian consecrated the ground for Christian burial. The churchyard has undergone numerous changes since then and most of the earliest stones have gradually sunk into the ground or been built over. Even today many of the recumbent stones are only partially visible as layers of soil, leaves and grass slowly cover them and conceal them from view.
The Churchyard still has a number of sturdy mort-safes which have so far stood the test of time remarkably well. They were erected over the graves of the more wealthy `residents` to defeat the efforts of body snatchers or resurrectionists who indulged in this sinister but lucrative trade. Relatives of the departed would have considered this site to be `high risk`, lying as it does so close to the city`s Royal Infirmary and its surgeons, many of whom sought corpses to dissect and further advance medical science.
Provand’s Lordship was built in 1471. It is one of only four surviving medieval buildings in Glasgow. The “auld hoose” is furnished with a fine selection of 17th-century historic furniture and royal portraits. Step back into medieval Glasgow with a visit to this fascinating building.
Behind the building sits the St Nicholas Garden, a herb garden which is an oasis of calm, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The Provand's Lordship of Glasgow, Scotland, is a medieval-period historic house museum located at the top of Castle Street within sight of the Glasgow Cathedral and Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and next to the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art. (to edit)*
Provand's Lordship and the nearby Glasgow Cathedral, are some of the very few surviving buildings from Glasgow's medieval period. Provand's Lordship is the oldest remaining house in Glasgow, the cathedral is the oldest building. Provand's Lordship was built in 1471 as part of St Nicholas's Hospital by Andrew Muirhead, Bishop of Glasgow, the Muirhead coat of arms is still visible on the side of the building. Provand's Lordship was likely to have been used to house clergy and other support staff for the Cathedral, providing temporary housing. The house later became occupied by the Lord of the Prebend of Barlanark and perhaps was shared with the priest of St. Nicholas Hospital and Chapel and became known as Lord of Provan and then Provand’s Lordship.Most of the remaining medieval buildings that surrounded the Cathedral and hospital were demolished between the 18th and 20th centuries. In 1978, the building was offered to the City Of Glasgow by the Provand's Lordship Society. Today the house is furnished with a collection of seventeenth-century Scottish furniture donated by Sir William Burrell. (to edit)*
Please bear in mind that all images on this website are Copyright. They are not free to use and have been embedded with a digital watermark.
This memorial, located on the approach to the Bridge of Sighs, honours the Glaswegians who were awarded the Victoria Cross medal.
The Glasgow Necropolis is an interesting place to explore and appears to be an extremely popular tourist attraction. It`s just a short but steep stroll from the city`s Cathedral Square and photographic opportunities are endless with many elaborate tombs, weathered gravestones, and striking statues. The main entrance to the graveyard is over Bridge of Sighs seen here.
The Bridge of Sighs etc
There are a large number of War Memorials, including plaques and stained glass windows, within Glasgow Cathedral which are often overlooked by visitors. Some may be partially or temporarily obscured behind desks or if building work is going on. In addition to the First and Second World Wars the memorials relate to those who lost their lives in earlier and more recent conflicts.
This memorial, embossed with a Spartan helmet and shield, is a tribute to Lieutenant Donald Campbell of the 20th Regiment of Foot. He died in Malwan in the East Indies on 26 February 1865, aged 54.
This superb memorial is to the men of the 71st Highland Light Infantry who fell in action or died of wounds during the Eusofzai campaign in the Northwest Frontier of India in 1863. The memorial was sculpted by William Brodie R.S.A. of Edinburgh in 1867.
This distinctive Sphinx-topped memorial is to the men of the 74th Highlanders (Highland Light Infantry) who fell during the Egyptian Campaign of 1882. Inscribed with the words `Egypt 1882` and `Tel El-Kebir` it lists 24 of the Regiment`s soldiers who fell in action and an additional 11 who died after contracting diseases while serving in Egypt.
At 05:45 hrs on 13 September 1882, just as dawn was breaking, British troops under the command of Lieutenant General Garnet Wolseley attacked the Egyptians` entrenched positions at Tel el-Kebir, with the Highland Brigade on the left flank leading the way.
Within an hour the enemy had fled leaving approximately 1,400 killed and 700 wounded against 57 British troops killed, 22 missing and 380 wounded. British cavalry pursued the remnants of the Egyptian Army towards Cairo, which was undefended and the leader of the revolt, Ahmed Urabi, surrendered. The assault upon the enemy positions is portrayed on the main panel.
This memorial is for the men of Glasgow Cathedral`s congregation who fought and died in the First World War. It is topped with an angel carrying a spear and shield.
This sombre memorial in black marble, is to Robert Burn Anderson, Lieutenant of the First Bombay Fusiliers. A brass plaque on the base reads; `Born in Glasgow 1833, died in China 1860, treacherously taken prisoner by the Chinese when in command of an escort and under protection of a flag of truce, he died a victim to the cruelty of a barbarous foe.` Anderson was captured along with four others and, with their hands tightly bound, they were left under the scorching sun for three days without food or water. None survived the ordeal.
This superbly crafted memorial is to the men of the 71st Highland Light Infantry who fell in action or died of wounds during the Eusofzai campaign in the Northwest Frontier of India in 1863. Particularly poignant is the small kilted boy clutching the Glengarry cap of his lost father while being comforted by one of the soldiers. The memorial was sculpted by William Brodie R.S.A. of Edinburgh in 1867. The attention to detail is excellent and includes medals on the soldier`s tunics.
This monument in white marble commemorates Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Cadogan of the 71st or Glasgow Regiment who led his men out of the old Gallowgate Barracks to embark on their way to fight in the Peninsular Wars against Napoleon. He fell at the head of his troops at the Battle of Vittoria, on 21 June 1813, urging his men onward with the cry of `Huzza Boys! Doon the Gallowgate wi` them! ` **
Above: Men of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders who fought in the Crimean War (16 October 1853 - 30 March 1856) are commemorated by this memorial including Major Robert Murray Banner. A fatally wounded kilted soldier is cradled by an angel blowing a horn. The battles in which the Regiment fought during the campaign, namely Cape, Alma, Balaclava and Sevastopol are embossed on the regimental colours held aloft by the dying soldier.
Major William Middleton of the Seventh Princess Royal`s Dragoon Guards died in Malta in 1859, aged 34, on his way back to the UK having served in India.
Lieutenant John Stirling, eldest son of Glasgow Merchant William Stirling, was a cavalry officer of the Bombay Army who fell, aged 23, while leading the assault against the Fort of Dundhootee. His remains were buried where he fell. The memorial features a scroll inscribed with the phrase `Gang forward!`
This tomb-shaped memorial commemorates William West Watson, Lieut. Colonel, 1st Lanarkshire Artillery Volunteers, who was mortally wounded by the accidental explosion of a shell at Irvine on 6 March 1880.
A particularly tragic `Band of Brothers` scenario is remembered here with four men from the same family lost during the Great War. The brothers are Captain Charles Hamilton Anderson of the HLI who was killed in action at Givenchy on 19 December 1914. Lt Alexander Ronald Anderson HLI, killed in action at Vielle Chapelle on 8 October 1915 and Captain Edward Kerr Anderson of the Royal Flying Corps who was killed while flying at Winchester on 16 March 1918 after active service in France. Lt Col William Herbert Anderson V.C. of the HLI fell in action at Mericourt on 25 March 1918, just over one week later.
A plaque commemorating Captain George Lyon Walker Grierson of the Royal Horse Artillery who died of cholera at Lucknow in October 1892.
In addition to the Highland Light Infantry (HLI) memorials such as the one on the right, there are a number which relate to the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), the first being just within the main entrance, at the building`s southwest corner where the Cathedral`s gift shop is located.
A book in a case beside the memorials contains the names of the 7,074 men of the regiment who fell in the Great War. Images of the magnificent monument to the Cameronians which stands in Kelvingrove beside the city`s Art Gallery can be seen here.**
This large Celtic Cross honours the men of all ranks of the 2nd Battalion, Highland Light Infantry (HLI) who fell in the same conflict.and another nearby commemorates those who lost their lives in India and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) between 1884-1900.
The Glasgow Police Memorial reads: `To the Glory of God and in honour of the men of the Glasgow Police who gave their lives in the War 1914-1919` and `Go tell our City, living we guarded thee, dead we guard thee still.` Police Museum info etc*
The Glasgow units of the Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial Force) who lost their lives in the Great War are commemorated by this memorial. An additional plaque commemorates the personnel of the 157th Lowland Field Ambulance.
Stained glass windows at the South Transept depict insignia and battle honours of four Scottish divisions, namely the 9th, 15th, 51st Highland and 52nd Lowland Division. Three windows in the North Transept commemorate the Scottish Regiments as well as the RAF and Royal Navy.**
This memorial pew commemorates the men and women of the RAF, Royal Auxiliary Air Force and the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve `Who gave their lives in defence of Freedom, 1939-1945`.
A more recent plaque commemorates members of the Scots Guards who lost their lives in active service in Northern Ireland or were killed by terrorist related activity on the UK mainland.
There are also many non-military memorials including this tribute to James Hedderwick (1814-1897) who was a journalist and poet.
Many more additional images relating to Glasgow can be found in my Stock Photography Archive.